Thursday, May 16, 2013

Art/Fashion Mix: Welcome To The Opulent, Dreamlike World Of Miles Aldridge!

Last week I was able to meet and photograph an exhibit by one of my favorite (fashion) photographers, Miles Aldridge at Steven Kasher Gallery.   Not just an exhibit, the event was also a book signing for two new books; Miles Aldridge: I Only Want You To Love Me and Other Pictures.  I've been following him for years as his work has been featured in endless fashion magazines presenting edgy, satirical, dark, yet humorous views of women in the industry.  I Only Want You To Love Me will run through June  8, 2013 and it's a must see if you like fashion photography with a twist.  
His work is described by Kasher as "the viewer being transported to a fantastically opulent dreamlike world populated by flawlessly dressed women playing stereotypical female roles; the secretary, the soccer mom, a housewife, and a vamp.  But there is something wrong with these meticulously composed scenes.  Aldridge's women are strangely disengaged.   It as if the pressure of being an object of desire 24/7 has become to much to endure.  On the verge of nervous breakdowns, what to buy, how to afford it, how to do it all?  Why does my daughter hate me, will he still love me tomorrow, why am I knifing this cake??"  
Have a look, you'll want to know more about the world of Miles Aldridge as well.  My signed book is a treasure. Get your copy at the gallery today.

Miles Aldridge with his model who graces the cover of the book...

Steven Kasher Gallery is located at 521 W. 23rd St., in Chelsea