Thursday, July 25, 2013

Disco INFERNO In NYC: Acclaimed Panel Talk - "Studio 54 and Beyond" & Art/Fashion Mix: Stephen Burrows "When Fashion Danced" Closes Soon!

Panel at the disco indeed!  Last week's heat wave in New York City was no deterrent for the Studio 54 regulars who attended “Studio 54 and Beyond: New York’s 1970s Club Scene” discussion.  I wouldn't miss it for anything and I was not disappointed, (I happily received more than I bargained for, details on that below.)  All of the panelists;  journalists Vince Aletti and Vanity Fair's Bob Colacello, former busboy and former Nobu owner Richie Notar and Pat Cleveland, as well as Myra Scheer and Marc Benecke, the hosts of “The Marc & Myra Show,” (Sirius XM Studio 54 Radio), spent many a night, or every night perhaps,  working there and or dancing with the almost two thousand others (who got in that is.)   You may recognize Colacello's name as he was formerly the right hand man to Andy Warhol, editor Interview magazine, and author of the publications infamous nightlife column, "Out," to name a few important accomplishments.  
The gathering was also a "finale" per say for the exhibition “Stephen Burrows: When Fashion Danced." (See all the photos from that incredible exhibit below.) Currently London is paying tribute to 80's Clubwear, http://www.vam.ac.uk and New York is revisiting the late-night party atmosphere of Studio 54. The guest had plenty of exciting stories to talk about especially given the list of artists, literati, celebrities, fashion personalities, and characters who frequented the hot spot. After the talk we were treated to a little reception in which I spoke with most of the panelists and yes, I begged Myra for more stories. 
 One extreme highlight was someone from their inside group bringing one of the original guest books, that I call royalty. I was *gulp* allowed to touch it briefly and turn some pages! I almost lost my mind, I was holding history. History that I am obsessed with, mind you. I saw the names, the writing, the notes, the dates, Brooke Shields, Liza +unlimited guests VIP, Truman - and so many more. I won't show photos of the book as promised, but it's killing me.  I only hope Myra invites little ol' me to one of their reunions. (Myra, please!?) 
Have a look at Studio 54 history and Burrows exhibit below...
Bob Colacello & Vince Aletti
Before the talk, original photos.....
Editor Bob Colacello, model Jerry Hall, Andy Warhol,  Debbie Harry,  Truman Capote and  Paloma Picasso at Studio 54
The original gang....Bob Colacello, left
Myra Scheer
Marc Benecke, Vince Aletti, former supermodel Pat Cleveland, Bob Colacello, Richie Notar & Myra Scheer
Stephen Burrows & Ms. Dorsaneo of the Museum of the City of New York
Everyone above had attended 54 regularly...

Now onto Stephen Burrows "When Fashion Danced," let's walk inside....
The print I bought...
 A large video screen takes us through NYC in the 70's as fashion danced at Studio 54. Nostalgia photos especially of the Twin Towers make us remember when we were kids driving into the city....and then, the disco ball, Henri Bendel's in the early days, and more....
Signatures, Commune, Dance, Silhouette!
Again, you only have a few days left to see this amazing show, it closes on July 28, 2013!  Visit http://www.mcny.org for more information!