Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Art/Fashion Mix For Fashion Week! Artist Profile With Christopher Lee Sauve - Pop Mastermind With Maus Ears! The Gallery & The Party.

One morning, a few weeks ago I was scrolling through emails and opened one of my favorites from Trendland.com.  They often have exciting artists, designers and all around "cool" features and I love discovering someone/something I wasn't yet aware of.  That day was exceptional as I was introduced to the art of Christopher Lee Sauve.  Previously, I was slightly familiar but now was VERY interested in the his art, designs and the Sauve brand.
The art/fashion mix: His work incorporates fashion icons into art flawlessly, The Mad Maus series he describes as "a marriage between infamous Mickey ears and iconic figures, two strong graphic visuals and traits making the ultimate icon."  This drew me in immediately it was the perfect representation of an art/fashion/pop mix - upon looking deeper well, everything drew me in.  (Follow the MadMaus at @madmausnyc on Instagram.)
Canadian born Sauve's solo exhibit happened to be in full swing at Hotel Particulier (http://www.hotelparticulier.com), located at 6 Grand St. in Tribeca, not actually a hotel but an art gallery/curated establishment with communal work space - and more.  I rushed over to have a look and also found out he and fellow artist Scooter LaForge  (http://scooterlaforge.tumblr.com), were about to work on a collaboration set for the following week.  Gallery Founder Frederique Thiollet was nice enough to invite me to document the process.  I began shooting photos of his current show and later returned to document his and LaForges' progress through the opening night bash at the gallery (and The Soho Grand.) 

First, an artist feature on Sauve, next the collaboration in progress with LaForge and of course, the party.  The exhibit was "one night only" held last week, but this coverage should make you feel as if you were there. 

What is your art / fashion or design background?
I have managed a modern-day coup in being heralded by the very people I tease: fashion’s elite and my artwork has been endorsed by Vogue, Elle, New York Magazine, Huffington Post, The New York Times, Details and WWD.
His designs poking fun at Vogue editor Anna Wintour, honoring late culture icon Princess Diana and showing love for Betty White have taken on a new vision in his recently released Mad Maus: ‘a marriage between infamous Mickey ears and iconic figures, two strong graphic visuals and traits making the ultimate icon’.

My artwork takes a critical view of popular culture with an emphasis on the fashion world. In my work, I deconstruct icons, and cartoons that are part of our childhood and honor the rebel. Having engaged subjects as diverse as punk rock music, and modernist iconography, my work reproduces familiar visual signs, arranging them into new conceptually layered pieces.  Often times these themes are combined into installations that feature silkscreened clean images, juxtaposed with layered collage.
While I use a variety of materials and processes in each project my methodology is consistent. Although there may not always be material similarities between the different projects they are linked by recurring formal concerns and through the subject matter. The subject matter of each body of work determines the materials and the forms of the work.  During research and production new areas of interest arise and lead to the next body of work.
My father was a painter and photographer.   I moved to NYC from Vancouver in 2006, started illustrating posters for rock bands and Bridgett Everett, and theater posters. Then I started working for MADONNA through Giovanni Bianco and started to love fashion. After this I worked for DVF, Alexander Wang, Dior and MAC Cosmetics.

Who is your favorite designer?
Jean Charles De Castelbajac. He sent me a photo of him wearing the SAVE ANNA tshirt and I almost died.

Favorite artist?
Basquiat.

Where do you get the most inspiration? 
Mostly from random finds on the internet or things I see on the street.

How did the Maus series begin?  
I started MM in 2009 and went to Montreal for a MADMAUS party with my friend Gibran. I made a leather hat with mouse ears. Also a SAVE ANNA MAUS tee. Then this past fall I just started drawing more mauses and exploring that subject again.
You are showing/selling at Pat Field, what is the link to see and buy?

And with Guilt Group as well?
Which celeb or artists, dead or alive, would you like to have dinner with and why? 
I was working with Anna Piaggi before she past away. I designed a tee for her and she sent me a photo of her wearing it which I love. We were writing an article on the “Rebel” a subject I am fascinated with and use a lot in my work. Sadly she passed away while we were working on this.

What else? 
I am fascinated with video lately.  Please check my videos at:
Instagram: christopherleesauve
Twitter: @chrissauve


On to the photos of his solo exhibit, after see the collab with LaForge...
ZiggyMaus
Wall of Maus!
Diane PernetMaus and PrinceMaus
Paper Magazine's MickyMaus (literally)
EdithMaus
Maus Exhibit
KarlMaus
On to the making of two giant collaboration canvases with Suave & LaForge, Hotel Particulier is being transformed...
Christopher Lee Sauve (holding the screen print)
Scooter LaForge (above / below)
Canvases going up!
Frederique Thiollet
And now the gallery opening...
Legendary fashion / icon photographer Roxanne Lowit
Frederique and Roxanne
Sauve, Suzanne Bartsch, LaForge & Thiollet
Sylist Lonnie McQuarters in one of Sauve Ts' - TOM FORD 
Roxanne and Suzanne 
Amanda Lepore is here, now it's a party!
And that my friends is everything. Please visit all of the links and join the party!