Thursday, August 11, 2016

Downtown 80's Icons Art Exhibit Celebrates Art & Music Culture in NYC!

Finally, a little blog on my own art exhibit is here!  A few weeks ago Luis "Zimad" Lamboy and I did a collaboration art show at L'asso Pizza, and iconic art spot in Soho, New York City called "Downtown 80's Icons."  The spot is now closed for the time being but a good portion of the works are still available by contacting us.  The theme of the show was paying tribute to the "downtown 80's icons" that made the NYC art and music scene an incredible time in cultural history.  Some of the icons that are shown in the art work are Keith Haring (note the art wall outside which is still on the building), Warhol, Futura, Patti Astor, Ramones, Kenny Scharf, Bowie, Misfits, Madonna and many more.
My art work is of mixed media photography where I used a variety of art mediums to embellish my photos.  Painting and mixed media was always my art focus beginning in the late 90's but over the past years due to small living spaces, I switched more to photography.  I love it all, now I am mixing it all in a new body of contemporary works.  Some are strategically done, some are more whimsical.  Not only paints, but sprays, Krink, fabric, Swarovski crystals and even pom-poms can be found. 
Zimad featured a long list of icons stenciled on found wood.  His extensive painting and graffiti background date back to the late 70's with a bio and show list a mile long.
Have a look at the show and a few of my recent art pieces at the bottom...
Zimad stencil works....
Just a few of my many mixed media photography pieces...
For more info contact Leanna at valentestyle@gmail.com, @leannav and visit www.leannavalenteart.com and www.luislamboy.com.