Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Art/Fashion Mix: Time For T-Shirts - Meet "Any Old Iron," Army Of One's Latest, Convoluted Construct & Dave Tree: They ALL Heart NY!

I was stopped dead in my tracks a couple weeks ago as I was quickly walking by what is now my favorite boutique on the L.E.S.  I didn't walk by, I stopped abruptly and rushed in as this T-shirt made me back up and take notice.  The shop is called Any Old Iron and is located at 149 Orchard. Right away I was attracted to this "I 'real heart!' NY" in the windows.  I then met the owner Andrew Clancy, and will be doing a huge blog feature on this incredible place in the next few days, this is just a glimpse of one of my favorite items there headlines this T-shirt theme (and NY T shirt theme.)   For more info now visit: www.anyoldiron.net and look for the full feature in the next few days, I guarantee you going to love what you see!
 

Now on to Dorian Gallery...
A couple weeks ago, during the last heatwave, I stopped in Dorian Gallery as Army Of One was beginning the production/launch of his I Heart NY T's.  These are also totally unique and each one, as you will see, is hand painted, literally (red hand!-Army Of One's "signature.")  I will also be featuring more on this later in the week as well.  You can catch Army of One's pieces around the city, mainly L.E.S., Soho and at Dorian Gallery in the E.Village. See Christoper, gallery director below!  Visit: http://www.doriangreygallery.com/
The production....
The finished products drying.... 

While at Dorian ask about or pick up XCIA's new book. Army Of One is among the many graffiti features inside this marvel collection of street art by Hank O'Neal - for fashion people he is "the Bill Cunningham of graffiti and street art."  More here: http://simanmediaworks.com/start.htm

On to Dave Tree's work at Lambert Fine Arts, 57 Stanton, again, you guessed it, L.E.S., where all the greatest street art, T-shirt events, etc. are in full swing. Tree, visited us from Boston last weekend with an interactive printing event where art and T fanatics could bring in a piece of clothing or bag and for a mere $5 get one of Dave's select prints on your piece. Mine (below), is the gray t-shirt with the red 99% Red Bird. Have a look at the process.... and, as with everything above, a greater post will up soon with many more event details and photos....
Dave Tree getting ready to print....
Here is my bird! (above and below)
For more info on Dave Tree visit:: www.davetree.com or www.sweetreeink.com

Pop up trucks are not just for food in NYC! Meet Convoluted Construction - an operation of roaming art gallery / original T-shirt shop.  I thought it was another random chow truck until I saw all of the art hanging in the clear side windows, I rushed in of course....
Once inside you see this...
and these nice people....
and this art work based on.........
Customers and demonstrations...
nice walls of original art and prints....
This was the view from inside the truck.... looking up at the Flat Iron buildings (when it was parked on 21st & Fifth Ave.)
Visit their website at www.ConVoCon.com & follow them on Fb & Twitter @convostruct - you'll know where the truck is parked to see the art, T's and add something original and handmade to your summer wardrobe.

So far this summer is all about artful-one of a kind-hand painted T's in the city. A casual fashion statement to keep cool in our many heatwaves while promoting and supporting these fine artists. More to come on each this week!